Vacancy: Health Economics Manager
Shortlisting and interviews will happen on a rolling basis so early application is encouraged. We may close this vacancy if a suitable candidate is found.
Who are we?
Symmetron is a health economics and outcomes research consultancy with over a decade of experience in evidence generation, decision-analytic modelling and statistical analysis. Our experience involves designing, developing, and communicating solutions for major pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers, both at a global and regional level. We promote a culture of creativity, independent thinking, team-work and scientific excellence.
We are committed to the personal development of our employees and offer excellent training and career development opportunities, inclusive of opportunities to pursue research interests. Our company offers a very competitive base salary, access to a bonus scheme and excellent benefits.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an exceptional Health Economics Manager to join the team. This is an opportunity for a driven, enthusiastic individual with broad technical knowledge and a keen interest to lead on the technical and project management of our high-quality economic models to evaluate health care interventions. Our health economics team primarily focuses on developing economic models and critiquing the existing evidence base to understand the value of new medical advancements. The candidate will lead, supervise and offer support to less experienced staff in all aspects of health economic research, performing clinical and economic evidence review, synthesis of inputs, model development and communication.
- Provide leadership and project management on health economics modelling projects across a wide range of therapeutic areas.
- Provide technical expertise and develop conceptual frameworks that guide the analysis and internal methodological standards in economic modelling projects.
- Conduct, supervise, oversee and quality assure the development of cost-effectiveness models, budget impact models, local adaptations, burden of illness etc, in collaboration with fellow technical analysts.
- Lead and oversee activities related to quality assurance (i.e. design and implementation of quality control procedures to ensure that deliverables are delivered at an excellent standard).
- Lead the development of slide decks, study reports, manuscripts, evidence dossiers, posters and other publications related to health economics and outcomes research.
- Proactively encourage and engage with interdisciplinary team working to scope new projects, research new and innovative methods in health economics and outcomes research and ensure consistency in the use of evidence across the life cycle of a multi-disciplinary project.
- Develop and maintain strong client relationships to ensure high client satisfaction, while keeping projects to time, budget and scope.
- Confidently interact with clients on a regular basis, being the main point of contact for assigned projects and able to lead client meetings and written communications that may be highly technical or sensitive in nature.
- Recognise, generate and lead on opportunities for the development of the business, including proposals for new projects.
- Lead, co-ordinate and supervise project teams, and provide mentorship and/or line management for less experienced staff.
- Undertake activities of continuous professional development and learning, inclusive of recognising and generating opportunities for further training of the staff.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties, and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by the organisation's overall business objectives.
Essential requirements and qualifications
- Proven experience in health economics research, ideally within academia, consulting or the pharmaceutical sector
- Postgraduate qualification in a relevant discipline (e.g. Health Economics, Health Technology Assessment, Medical Statistics, Biostatistics, Mathematics, Econometrics)
- Excellent technical expertise in the development, audit and critical assessment of health economic evaluation and models, with experience in the development of economic models with various conceptual designs over a wide range of therapeutic areas.
- Demonstrated capability of mentoring less experienced health economists
- Demonstrated knowledge of health technology assessment methodology and processes
- A genuine interest and good understanding of statistical concepts, systematic review, evidence synthesis and critical appraisal of scientific literature
- Excellent quantitative, critical thinking and analytical skills, and able to review and synthesize large amounts of scientific information under a deadline
- An organised and methodological approach to planning and delivering work of high quality, inclusive of experience in project management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to effectively engage with a wide-ranging audience and explain complex modelling techniques and results
- Interest in publication and conference attendance, with some publication history
- Excellent writing skills (for example, through development of presentations, reports, dossiers and/or manuscripts)
- Excellent accuracy and attention to detail, along with the ability to maintain high-quality deliverables given competing demands and changing deadlines
- Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment, as well as independently, leading small projects or subcomponents of larger projects
- High self-motivation, can-do attitude, optimistic outlook and leadership ability
- Takes initiative to learn new skills, and develops the skill set of others with less experience
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office and reference management software, with advanced skills in Excel
Desirable skills and experience
These are nice-to-have skills. Candidates who do not fulfil these requirements but are interested in this role are encouraged to apply.
- Experience with statistical and economic modelling software (e.g. R, Treeage, WinBUGS, SAS, Stata)
- Experience in analysing large datasets, understanding of clinical trial design and statistical methods
- Understanding of advanced statistical methods and concepts for evidence synthesis, e.g. indirect treatment comparison and network meta-analysis methods.
- Experience in and/or knowledge of clinical processes or trials
- Line management experience
- Business development experience
- Candidates successful in this first round will be contacted to attend an introductory phone call with a member of the Symmetron health economics team.
- This job is a full-time position based in our offices in Central London. Working from home is supported and organised around staff roles and responsibilities. Office attendance is in line with government guidance on COVID-19 restrictions.
- The successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK when starting their employment.
- No agencies, please.